Culture & Using Spanish in the Real World
By Gerald Erichsen, About.com Guide
Learn more about the names that are used in the Spanish-speaking world.
- Spanish Surnames
- Spanish Baby Names for Girls
- Spanish Baby Names for Boys
- How Did Cristóbal Colón Become Christopher Columbus?
Etymology is the study of word origins. Learning about how words evolved to their present form often provides a glimpse into history.
Varieties of Spanish
The Spanish of Spain isn't the Spain of Mexico, but neither is the Spanish of Madrid the same as that of Seville.
- Varieties of Spanish
- Spain's Linguistic Diversity
- Spanish and Castilian: What's the Difference?
- Using 'Vos' in Argentina
Facts and Trivia About Spanish
Here are some details about the Spanish language that you may not know.
Because most of the Spanish-speaking world is Christian, both Holy Week (the week before Easter) and Christmas are especially festive times of the year. The articles and lessons can help you enjoy or understand those festivities and others.
- Janucá: The Hanukkah Story in Spanish
- Day of the Dead (Día de los muertos) Honors the Deceased
- Adiós Scout (Sung to the Tune of 'Auld Lang Syne')
- El himno nacional mexicano
- Origins of Cinco de Mayo: Orígenes del Cinco de Mayy
- Thanksgiving Vocabulary: Día de acción de gracias
- Él tenía un sueño: la vida de Martin Luther King
- ¡Cantemos! The Songs of Christmas in Spanish
- Reflexiones navideñas
- El nacimiento de Jesús por san Mateo: The Birth of Jesus from Matthew
- El nacimiento de Jesús por san Lucas: The Birth of Jesus from Luke
- Words of Christmas (Word-Find Puzzle)
- En el principio era el Verbo: Introduction to the Gospel of John in Spani
- Las posadas, una tradición navideña
- Las palabras navideñas: A Christmas Quiz
- No está aquí, pues ha resucitado: The Easter Story in Spanish
- Cristo ha resucitado: 'Christ the Lord Is Risen Today' in Spanish
Learn more about the Spanish language in real life.
For many of us, there is no more enjoyable way to put our knowledge of a foreign language to work than to travel to where it is used. These articles and lessons can help prepare you for your journey.
- What You Need To Know About Immersion Study
- Vocabulary of Air Travel
- Spanish Road Signs
- Vocabulary of Dining