Even if you don't speak Spanish, you can learn a few simple words and phrases that will ease your way wherever Spanish is spoken.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- To say 'please,' say 'por favor.' If you say 'pore fah-VORE' you'll be understood, even if the pronunciation is far from precise.
- To say 'thank you,' say 'gracias.' If you say 'GRAHSS-yahss' you'll be understood.
- To inform a person you don't speak Spanish, say 'No hablo español.' That's pronounced something like 'no AHV-low ess-pawn-YOHL.'
- To say hello, merely say 'Hola' or OH-la' (rhymes with 'Lola'; note that the letter H is silent in Spanish).
- To say goodbye, say 'Adiós' or 'ah-THYOHSS' (with the 'th' having the sound of the 'th' in 'that.').
- Learn whatever else you can with a Spanish phrasebook and pronunciation guide.
- To sound better with these phrases, learn how the Spanish letters are pronounced.
- Don't be afraid to sound silly. In nearly any Spanish-speaking area, even the feeblest attempts to speak Spanish will be honored.