Update: Readers' Choice Awards winners.
Three destinations in Central America and two in Spain are the favorites of About.com Spanish Language readers who made nominations for this year's Readers' Choice Awards. The destinations vary widely, including sites in the Third World as well as one of the world's major resort areas. Nominators said they looked at costs, cultural attractions, immersion language programs, accessibility and even local accents in making their recommendations.
The finalists for the best travel destination for people learning Spanish are:
- Antigua, Guatemala, the original capital of Guatemala and now one of the country's top tourist attractions, known for its colonial ruins and proximity to volcanoes.
- Madrid, Spain, the national capital and the heart of Spanish culture, arts, cuisine and architecture.
- Málaga and the Costa del Sol, Spain, known for their popular Mediterranean beaches and Arabic influence.
- Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, also known as Xela or Xelajú, Guatemala's second-largest city, in the heart of the Mundo Maya.
- San José and the surrounding cities of Costa Rica, centrally located in the highlands near rain forests and not far from Atlantic and Pacific beaches.
You can vote on this page once per day through March 19, 2013. The winner will be announced the following week. Feel free to discuss the nominees below.
And be sure to check out the Readers' Choice Awards nominees in other categories!