1. Education

Gerald Erichsen

What Is the Best Android App for People Learning Spanish?

By February 19, 2013

Update: Readers' Choice Awards winners.

Readers Choice Awards 2013

There aren't nearly as many apps developed for people learning Spanish for the Android platform as there are for the iPhone and iPad, but About.com Spanish Language readers nevertheless came up with five finalists to recommend. Before you purchase any of the paid products, make sure they'll work on your hardware and Android version.

The five finalists for the best Android app for people learning Spanish are:

You can vote on this page once per day through March 19, 2013. The winner will be announced the following week. Feel free to discuss the nominees below.

And be sure to check out the Readers' Choice Awards nominees in other categories!

Comments

February 20, 2013 at 11:19 am
(1) Nards Barley says:

Verb Champion must be new with only 100+ downloads. Seems unique and quite useful.

February 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm
(2) Spanish Guide says:

NB — I must admit that I was surprised when verifying the nominations at how relatively sparse the Android software selection, at least in terms of instructional software, is compared to that for the iPhone. Nearly all the software I have on my Android phone is also available in iPhone versions, so I just assumed that everything being developed these days is made for both platforms. But that isn’t the case; if I remember correctly, only one of the five iPhone nominees is available for Android at all.

Anyway, I hope these awards encourage people to check out some software they haven’t seen before. I’m going to have to borrow an iPhone to see what those apps are like.

February 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(3) Nards Barley says:

I previously owned an IPOD Touch and then decided to switch to Android when the 7 inch tablets came oujt. Now, I have purhcased about 5 Spanish dictionaries, and a bunch of other stuff, so I am sort of locked in to the Android ecosystem.

However, the “Now You’re Fluent, ” app mentioned in your Apple post interested me enough, that I was checking prices on older IPOD Touches this morning.

August 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm
(4) susan remi says:

Lingorami is my new favorite spanish app for android. Features games to learn spanish instead of the usual flash cards. too fun!

September 24, 2013 at 8:42 am
(5) Marc Bolh says:

Thanks for bringing attention to the great Android apps available for learning Spanish!

We just released v6 of Spanish English Dictionary + with some features you might like including;
- Double the words in free version, 5x more in premium versions.
- Lots of enhancements for tablets in the dictionary, phrasebook & verb conjugator.
- Improved audio pronunciation.

Try it for free on Google Play.

Best,
Marc Bolh
CEO VidaLingua

November 7, 2013 at 7:47 am
(6) Tom says:

I’ve tried an app named ELBA that’s aviable on google play.. I think it costs like a dollar or two.. I’ve learned really fast by using it. although I think that it’s a bit annoying that it mixes photos and cartoon pictures.. Anyway it’s super!

April 15, 2014 at 12:58 pm